I’ve been meaning to bake with Avocados for a while now as I read that they work exceptionally well in egg-less cake recipes. I made these cupcakes for little Ruhaan, our friends Prasoon & Meenakshi’s exceptionally well behaved 2 year old last weekend when we met up for brunch.
This is by far the healthiest cupcake I have ever baked! I used equal portions of all-purpose flour (maida) and home-made oat flour (finely powdered oats made in the food processor). I used banana to replace most of the refined sugar and soy-milk and canola oil to make the wet ingredients. These were so delicious, you’d hardly notice they had no eggs!
The best part of any cupcake is the frosting… I made the chocolate frosting for these cupcakes using silken tofu and chocolate chips … was the awesome-est frosting ever!
While Keya loved nibbling on little pieces I offered her, I believe Ruhaan enjoyed these very much during his snack time 🙂 Yay! (This recipe makes 12 regular or 16 mini- cupcakes)
DRY Ingredients for Cake:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (sifted) + 3/4 cup finely ground rolled oats + 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp Baking powder + 3/4 tsp Baking soda + Pinch of Salt.
WET Ingredients for Cake:
1 Avocado chopped into cubes + 1 medium or 1/2 large Banana + 1/4 cup Sugar + 1/4 cup plain yoghurt
3/4 cup Soya or Cow’s milk + 1/3 cup Canola or Vegetable oil + 2 tsp Vanilla extract
Ingredients for the tofu frosting:
100g or 1/2 cup Silken tofu + 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
To make – CUPCAKES:
1. In a large mixing bowl sift all the dry ingredients together using a metal mesh. Set aside.
2. Place the avocado, banana, sugar and yoghurt in a mixer and whizz till smooth. Add the soy milk, canola oil and vanilla and blitz again till it is nice and smooth.
3. Create a shallow well and gently pour the wet mix into the dry. And mix using a balloon whisk till everything is nicely mixed. Using a spoon, scoop the batter into your cupcake pan till 3/4th full.
Bake @ 200 deg C for about 20-25 mins or till a inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes to room temperature before frosting.
1. Place the tofu and vanilla extract in a blender / mixer and puree till nice and smooth and lump-free.
2. In a double boiler (see image), place the chocolate chips and melt gently. Stir gently to help the process along and till the chocolate is smooth and shiny. Remove from the heat.
3. Add the pureed tofu to the melted chocolate and whisk till smooth and well incorporated. Keep slightly warm.
It is very important that your cupcakes be completely cool before you decide to frost them. The warm icing will set as it cools. But if your cupcakes are still warm, the frosting might get runny and drip before it has a chance to set.
Slater the frosting onto the cupcake using a spatula. And decorate with your child’s favourite sprinkles – Older toddlers will love doing the sprinkling themselves!